Expres Entry

It is a federal immigration program used to manage applications for permanent residence in one of the following categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Canadian Experience Class

This program is also used by the Canadian provinces and territories to recruit candidates from the Express entry system through the provincial nominee programs.

Candidates are evaluated based on several criterion: skills, work experience, language ability, education and any other details that that will help CIC to assess them.

The points are granted based on the candidate profile information.

The candidates with the highest score will receive ITA (Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residency).

Additional points are allotted for:

  • Study in Canada
  • Valid job offer
  • Nomination by a Provence or territory

All applicants for permanent residence also need to meet eligibility and admissibility requirements under the Canadian immigration law (IRPA).

Family sponsorship

  • Sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children
  • Sponsor your parents and grandparents
  • Sponsor your adopted children and other relatives

Canadian citizen or permanent resident aged 18 years and older can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. Their relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents.

Sponsorship applications for spouse / partner may be:

  • Inland – the sponsored person is already living in Canada
  • Outland – the sponsored person is living over seas

The sponsor must show proof of income to sponsor a parent or grandparent in order to offer the financial support to the sponsored persons.

However, to be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependents must not be inadmissible to Canada.


The program is designated to qualified persons to provide care for:

  • Children
  • Elderly person
  • Persons with disabilities in private homes without without supervision

Live-in-Caregivers must live in the private homes where they work in Canada.

Both the employer and employee must follow several steps to meet the requirements of the programs.

Study permits

To get a study permit the applicant must fulfill the following conditions:

  • To be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada
  • To prove that you have enough money to pay for tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who comes with you in Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Must be a law abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. It may have to provide a police certificate
  • Must be in a good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary
  • Must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay

Work permit

A work permit is a writing authorization that:

  • allows an applicant who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to work in Canada
  • is required for persons who want to work in Canada even if their employer is not in Canada. For example, business companies registered outside Canada have to obtain work permits for the employee transferred to their subsidiary registered in Canada;
  • is valid for a specific employer , job and length of time;
  • is issued based on an evaluation of the employer (Labor Market Impact Assessment or LMIA) by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or an Offer of  employment from  a LMIA-exempt employer.

Work permit applications from within Canada, if applicant::

  • is currently in Canada and has a valid study or work permit, or his/her spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
  • has graduated from a program at a
    • Canadian university,
    • community college,
    • CÉGEP,
    • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
    • other eligible school.
  • has a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more,
  • has applied or been included in an application for permanent residence from inside Canada (she/he will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit),
  • has asked for refugee status in Canada and is waiting for a decision from the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada,
  • has been recognized by the RPD as a convention refugee or protected person,
  • has had your refugee claim turned down by the RPD but she/he cannot be removed from Canada for reasons beyond her/his control, or
  • is allowed to work in Canada without a work permit, but she/he needs a work permit to work in a different job.

Work permit applications at Port of Entry, if applicant::

  • is from a visa-exempt country,
  • already hold a valid medical certificate, if she/he need it for the job or is from a designated country, and either
  • the employer has completed all of the steps for her/his type of work permit, or
  • is applying for an open work permit.


Work permit applications from outside Canada, if applicant has:

  • a written job offer or a contract of employment and
  • LMIA from ESDC

In order to issue a LMIA or a job offer application number, ESDC will assess the employer based on the following criterions:

  • Validity of the job offer
  • Employment conditions within the last 6 years (salaries, work conditions and positions)
  • Fulfillment of the Federal Provincial and Territorial Regulations

Restrictions imposed by IRPR in regards of the employment of foreign workers

Business Programs

Federal program designated for the selection of applicants in one of the following categories:

  • Self Employed Persons
  • Start-up Visa
  • Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
  • Federal Immigrant Investors and Entrepreneurs

Self Employed Persons

To be eligible as a Self Employed Persons, applicant must:

  • Have at least 2 years of relevant experience*, and intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada
  • Have at least 35 points on the selection criteria system to determine if the applicants can contribute to Canada`s economy in one of the required areas

*Relevant experience means at least 2 years of experience on the last 5 years before the application date.

The experience must be :

  • In cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level
  • In self-employed cultural activities or athletics
  • Experience in managing a farm

In order to qualify for cultural activities:

  1. two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities, or
  2. two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities, or
  3. a combination of a one-year period of experience described in A above, and a one-year period of experience described in B above.
  • In order to qualify for athletics:
    1. two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in athletics, or
    2. two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in athletics, or
    3. a combination of a one-year period of experience described in 1 above, and a one-year period of experience described in 2 above, and
  • In order to qualify for buying and managing a farm, two one-year periods of experience managing a farm.


Start-up Visa

To be eligible to receive a start-up visa the applicant must:

– prove that his business is supported by a designated organization

– show that his business meets the ownership requirements

– meet the language requirements

– bring sufficient settlement funds

To apply for a start-up visa the business idea or venture must obtain the support of one of the designated organizations listed below:

–       Designated venture capital founds

–       Designated angel investor groups

–       Designated business incubators

Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program

To qualify for this program the applicant must have a personal net worth of CDN 10 million $ or more. His net worth must have been acquire through lawful, private sector business or investment activities.

Personal net worth acquired by inheritance or in the value of your primary residence will not count towards the personal net worth requirement.

The applicant must enter into an agreement that includes an undertaking to pay to the Minister a sum of CAN 2 millions for IIVC Fund for approximately 15 years, the repayment of which is not guaranteed as well as to fulfill language and education requirements.

The application period for this program is closed at this time.

In addition to the Federal Immigration Program, each province and territory may determine its own criterion for selection of the applicants through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)


proof read my paper